FOOD IS OFFICIALLY BACK!!!!
After a long but needed cooking hiatus, it felt soooo good to be making these french fries. But I have to be honest with you. The reason I haven’t been creating more whole food content….is because I haven’t been eating healthy whatsoever this summer 😬😬. Now that summer is nearly over, I feel the need to grab ahold of my health again (yeah em, cooking french fries is a really healthy option…..). But I gotta start somewhere, and so I’m cookin things I want to eat.
Not to toot my own horn….but these might be the best french fries I’ve ever had. Some of them look super dark because I cooked both regular fries and sweet potato fries 🙂 . One thing I will say, is this is a little bit of a lengthy process, so you gotta be committed. But the outcome is most definitely worth it. You will definitely need to bring your high school chemistry skills back because you have to keep the oil at the correct temperature. It is a balancing act between watching the thermometer and turning the flame up or down as needed. The key to creating the most crispy delicious fries is frying them TWICE at two different temperatures. Read below 🙂
- Peel and cut your potatoes into long strips.
- Fill a large bowl with ice water and soak the potato strips for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, pour potatoes into a colander, then dump onto a dish towel.
- THOROUGHLY pat the strips dry.
- Fill a pot with vegetable oil. (I used olive oil another time and it worked just as well.) Attach a cooking thermometer to the side of your pot. (**NOTE: Use a smaller pot so you don’t have to use as much oil, just fry the potatoes in smaller batches.)
- Turn heat on, and raise temp of oil to 270 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Fry potatoes for 5 minutes and stir occasionally, (watching the thermometer, you might have to lower or raise the heat every so often) use a slotted spoon to place them on cookie sheet covered in paper towel to cool.
- After all potatoes have been fried and are starting to cool, raise heat of oil to 350.
- Fry potatoes again for 5 minutes, place on cookie sheet, sprinkle with salt to taste.
My parents and friends were both soooo impressed by these fries. It’s most definitely worth the process to make these. They’re the best fries I’ve ever had.
Happy Monday my friends!!!